How to easily post your flickr and picasaweb image galleries

the latest info and site related topics will be posted here - please checkout this forum when you see new posts.
User avatar digitaltoast
Super Contributor

How to easily post your flickr and picasaweb image galleries

Postby digitaltoast » 15 Jun 2011 10:57

How to easily post photos, galleries and albums on Reading Forum.

Reading Forum has plenty of space for storage and uploading attachments and it's not about to run out any day soon.
But it's not infinite, and when it comes to displaying photographs, if it's more than a couple of images, it's not ideal either.
And if a lot of people were to post a lot of pics in a long, popular thread, it has the potential to slow the server for everyone.

There are several photo sharing services out there, the big two being Picasaweb and Flickr.
Personally, I prefer Picasaweb because of the excellent Picasa software with its advanced tagging for people, places, faces, geo-location etc.
However, flickr is older and more popular. Both give generous amounts of storage for free, and are quick and easy to sign up to.
If you'd like a good overview of the two, read this guide: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/34558/f ... web-albums

By using these services, not only do you get a way of backing up your photos, but you get a very easy way of sharing your photos and albums on Reading Forum, with Google and Flickr's servers doing all the grunt work on our behalf.

Thanks to a couple of great scripts - jflickrfeed and Embed Picasa Gallery - a fair bit of fiddling and lots of help from the internet, it's very easy to do this.

Flickr photos with a certain tag:
Although it doesn't seem possible to post a flickr album, this method is, in fact, even better. It allows you to tag multiple pictures across different albums, then show all those pictures here.
So let's say you have 10 albums of pictures of Reading with 20 pictures in each, of which you thought 2 in each album were real stunners you wanted to show on the forum, you'd add the tag (for example) "rfbesttownpics".

Then just click the "flickrtag" button above, and between the tags put your flickr tag stream. For example:

Code: Select all

[flickrtag]http://www.flickr.com/photos/username/tags/rfbesttownpics/[/flickrtag]

So for example:

[flickrtag]http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesdray/tags/icicles/[/flickrtag]
gives you...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lesdray/tags/icicles/ - click a thumbnail for larger image

There are limitations with flickr - the thumbnails and full size pics aren't that large and you are limited to the first 20 pictures of each tag.
    Nothing to stop you tagging and posting groups of 20, of course.

Picasaweb albums

Picasa offers a more powerful set of features for sharing photos, and here you can post either a link to an album, or a link to your entire public list of albums.

If there's more than 7 photos, you can click to see more. For example:

[picasaalbum]https://picasaweb.google.com/tomaszek31/RoznePomieszane[/picasaalbum]
    gives you

https://picasaweb.google.com/tomaszek31/RoznePomieszane - Click a thumbnail for larger image or an album name to open the album

https://picasaweb.google.com/tomaszek31/RoznePomieszane

If you want to show a gallery of ALL your public albums, just drop the album title. In the example below, some of the albums only have one pic, so don't get confused by that!
    Once you've viewed that album, you can either click and image for a larger image, or click "back" to return to the album list.

[picasaalbum]https://picasaweb.google.com/ruudseverijns70[/picasaalbum]
    gives you

https://picasaweb.google.com/ruudseverijns70 - Click a thumbnail for larger image or an album name to open the album

https://picasaweb.google.com/ruudseverijns70

Hope you have fun sharing your pics - there are some really excellent photographers here in RF!
    Live Reading TrafficCams - How to post images - Reading Forum Interactive Parking Map
    PLEASE NOTE:I do not have editorial control over the content or direction of the forum, and do not speak for, on behalf of, or represent the views of the forum owners or moderators unless in a purely technical capacity.
    Editorial or moderation queries? Please PM johnH

User avatar piwacket

Re: How to easily post your flickr and picasaweb image galle

Postby piwacket » 15 Jun 2011 11:15

Digi, as I said earlier, I use Photobucket - but OH downloads from his mobile and/or camera onto Kodak, and recently has found that he can no longer send images to me (or anyone else) in a sensible format - ie: I can't them uupload them to anywhere else (My Pictures/P'bucket)) which is a pain!

So woould I be right in thinking he could upload them to either of the sites above instead?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch

User avatar digitaltoast
    Super Contributor

Postby digitaltoast » 15 Jun 2011 11:39

piwacket wrote:Digi, as I said earlier, I use Photobucket - but OH downloads from his mobile and/or camera onto Kodak, and recently has found that he can no longer send images to me (or anyone else) in a sensible format - ie: I can't them uupload them to anywhere else (My Pictures/P'bucket)) which is a pain!
    So woould I be right in thinking he could upload them to either of the sites above instead?

Yes - I believe he should be able to upload directly to either of these two from the mobile or camera.
    Live Reading TrafficCams - How to post images - Reading Forum Interactive Parking Map
    PLEASE NOTE:I do not have editorial control over the content or direction of the forum, and do not speak for, on behalf of, or represent the views of the forum owners or moderators unless in a purely technical capacity.

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 15 Jun 2011 12:09

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 15 Jun 2011 14:50

If it is of any help, when I plug my camera into the PC, the drop down menu that appears as if by magic now contains the option the upload directly to Piccassa 3 editing suite and it shows whatever is in the camera on the Library page. From there you can select which ones you want to edit and then uploda to your Pictures file. When you click on the 'export' button you get the option the insert a watermark, i.e. Photo Copyright Les.Dray.
    I recently edited some pics from friends and forgot to alter the watermark, so had to repeat the exercise!.
    www.flickr.com/photos/lesdray
    Les.
    You do not stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing. George Bernard Shaw

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 15 Jun 2011 15:54

Thanks Les - I've asked him to read this through. :)

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 11 Jul 2011 11:32

Duly deleted for you Oldman.
    Les.
    You do not stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing. George Bernard Shaw

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 11 Jul 2011 12:24

Cheers Les

Not sure how it got in here though!
    Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 11 Jul 2011 13:48

One of technowledgies mysteries I dare say mate.
    Les.

User avatar Stuart Kerr
    Super Contributor

Postby Stuart Kerr » 05 Jul 2014 22:00

Sooo

Is it not possible to use Flickr or Picasa as a host in which to embed images onto the forum?

I know this server is a bit creaky, but I thought it would be possible without eating into the storage....or does it? It seems a while since I've had to consider these things :?

*EDIT* - Spellig lol
    Last edited by Stuart Kerr on 05 Jul 2014 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
    fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt

User avatar digitaltoast
    Super Contributor

Postby digitaltoast » 05 Jul 2014 22:11

Stuart Kerr wrote:Sooo

Is it not possible to use Flickr or Picasa as a host in which to embed images onto the forum.

I know this sever is a bit creaky, but I thought it would be possible without eating into the storage....or does it. It see,s a while since I've had to consider these things :?

Where are you getting the idea that the "sever" is "creaky"?!? We've got a fast, SSD-based European server, have had 100% uptime over the last 5 months and have oodles of capacity to spare both in terms of bandwidth and storage space. And according to google analytics, the server serves pages faster than 85% of other internet sites.

HOWEVER(!) that said, the reason Picasa/Flickr stopped working was because an update late last year buggered a few things up, and to be quite honest, I'd completely forgotten about the flickr and picasa tags not working as there was SUPPOSED to be a major phpbb update shortly after, which was going to require all the mods and bbcode to be redone anyway. However, it's now July and they STILL haven't release it (see https://blog.phpbb.com/ - last update, Feb at time of writing).

So, if you DO want it working again, let me know and I'll fix up a bodge to try and get it going until this mythical major new release comes out :)

User avatar Stuart Kerr
    Super Contributor

Postby Stuart Kerr » 05 Jul 2014 22:12

Oooh!

Yes please

:-)

User avatar digitaltoast
    Super Contributor

Postby digitaltoast » 05 Jul 2014 22:13

Stuart Kerr wrote:Oooh!

Yes please

:-)

OK, no problem. Seeing as you said please, and seeing as I'd forgotten until you reminded me! But it might have to wait until the morning. I'll post again here when I've fixed it and either succeeded or failed!

User avatar D6equj5
    Super Contributor

Postby D6equj5 » 06 Jul 2014 13:09

I find 'DropBox' really handy although I don't know ALL its in's and out's

User avatar digitaltoast
    Super Contributor

Postby digitaltoast » 07 Jul 2014 06:59

digitaltoast wrote:OK, no problem. Seeing as you said please, and seeing as I'd forgotten until you reminded me! But it might have to wait until the morning. I'll post again here when I've fixed it and either succeeded or failed!

Done! Working for me, anyway. Let me know if it's OK!

User avatar Stuart Kerr
    Super Contributor

Postby Stuart Kerr » 07 Jul 2014 13:54

Testing 1,2 - 1,2

User avatar Stuart Kerr
    Super Contributor

Postby Stuart Kerr » 07 Jul 2014 13:55

Great stuff. Thanks