German Butcher and Bakery

don't know where to post it! ......

German Butcher and Bakery

Postby horrekepp » 10 Oct 2008 12:45

Hi all,

I just recently moved to Reading from German and am looking for a German Butcher and German Baker.

I know I can get "German" style bratwurst in Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Tesco but it does not taste the same as from a butcher in Germany. I have looked online but couldn't find anything, so does anybody know of a German Butcher in the Reading or surrounding area? I know that the GermanDeli in London supplies German food but it is a pain to get there and unless I spend over £100 the delivery charge is a bit high.

I have had more luck with a German Bakery though I have to go to Beaconsfield in order to get some bread. Does anybody know of a German baker that might be a little closer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Erik
horrekepp
Contributor

Re: German Butcher and Bakery

Postby Alanovich » 10 Oct 2008 13:11

Good luck with your search, I'm afraid I don't know of a specific German butcher in the area, but the County Delicatessen on St Mary's Butts in Reading may well stock German deli goods as it stocks a wide range of European items. Give it a try.

Viel Glück, und Wilkommen!
Моё судно на воздушной подушке полно угрей
Alanovich
Super Contributor

Postby motty » 10 Oct 2008 14:43

Afraid I can't help you Erik - most of the European shops in Reading are either Italian or Polish. Too bad - a BBQ with some German bratwurst and a glass or three of Kolsch would be just the thing on this glorious afternoon...
motty
Super Contributor

Postby motty » 10 Oct 2008 14:47

Actually, you might try:

Cavendish Meats, RG4 8XU
6, Cavendish Rd, Emmer Green, Reading, Berkshire RG4 8XU
Tel: 0118 946 2929

I've occasionally seen Dutch style sausages in there. Also good game and 'roo too (I'm Aussie). Not sure about Bratwurst, but they're friendly and very good.
motty
Super Contributor

Postby old_chris » 10 Oct 2008 15:17

motty wrote:Actually, you might try:

Cavendish Meats, RG4 8XU
6, Cavendish Rd, Emmer Green, Reading, Berkshire RG4 8XU
Tel: 0118 946 2929

I've occasionally seen Dutch style sausages in there. Also good game and 'roo too (I'm Aussie). Not sure about Bratwurst, but they're friendly and very good.
Biltong :eat6:
One Way? No Way!
old_chris
Super Contributor

Postby motty » 10 Oct 2008 15:41

Indeed they do sell Biltong. The sausage I was thinking of was Boereworst, which is also South African (dutch in origin).

Now I'd better get back to work before I break out in my fake Sith Ifricin accent that I rile my southern hemisphere sporting rivals with...
motty
Super Contributor

Postby horrekepp » 06 Nov 2008 12:06

Hi all,

Thanks for the help but I actually drove to Richmond to the Backhaus: http://www.backhaus.co.uk/. It was only an hours drive so not too bad.

They also deliver to Reading in their van every second Wednesday to somewhere near the University. I have not tried it yet but will do so soon.

I got some Bratwurst from them, but I didn't really like them - they tasted a bit too smokey but teh Fleischkaese, the fresh bread, the fish and the rest was all delicious!

Thanks again,

Erik
horrekepp
Contributor

Return to anything else