Looking at Old and Lower Earley and Woodley

LCFC
Contributor

Looking at Old and Lower Earley and Woodley

Postby LCFC » 07 Mar 2011 11:59

Hi all,

Let me say a 'hello' first as I am new to this forum. As you can probably guess from my title I am looking to move to Reading.

I am looking to move to Reading due to job relocation and after some research I have narrowed down the two places which I would like to move to as Earley and Woodley. The reason being my work is in Bracknell and I have heard it is easy to get to from these areas, I have carried out dummy runs at busy times and they seem okay, also because (and I may be wrong and this is where you come in) I think these are nice, family friendly areas with little trouble, rowdiness, ASB etc. House pricess are slightly expensive but that is a given for Reading and areas such as these.

What we're looking for:

3 Bed semi-detached house with front garden/drive, rear garden and Garage. An average family home for around 200-250,000

Next to a good school for 5+ primary school

What I would like to know is:

Where does Old Earley start and end and where does Lower Earley start?

1) Quality of houses around Earley and Woodley, as I would like a solid brick house, with brick walls, no plaster board walls. I do not mind new builds as long as they are solid through. Are there any housing companies and housing areas to stay away from?

2) General demographic of these areas, i.e young couples, single parents, old, ritired, renting, etc

3) Any new developments in the area that I would need to be concerned with, is there areas which flood and some no go areas

4) What is the availability of internet broadband as this would be important as I frequently work from home, any bad experiences with providers such as Virgin, BT?

5) What are the school like for primary school students, any recomendations?

6) Any other things to note about Earley and Woodley which would be useful to know?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

LCFC
Last edited by LCFC on 07 Mar 2011 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar Reuben
Super Contributor

Re: Looking at Lower Earley and Woodley

Postby Reuben » 07 Mar 2011 15:27

Hi LCFC

Re: Floods ... the Environment Agency have a useful map on their website:

http://maps.environment-agency.gov.uk/w ... xtonly=off

and

Re: New Developments ... do you know about the one in Wokingham?

User avatar carless-jane
Super Contributor

Postby carless-jane » 07 Mar 2011 15:39

Welcome to the forum LCFC. Can't comment much on your queries as it is the wrong side of town for me, but have you also considered what gets called Old Earley - lots of older 1930s semis of solid build - also near to Earley train station on direct line to Bracknell if you don't want to drive.
Lower Earley is mostly a new-ish housing estate and rather soulless....and built on a floodplain! Beware the roundabout by the cinema (and park and ride that I hear is closing) - it regularly floods there.
Other than that I will have to leave it to others to answer. Nice part of town in general so Happy Househunting :-)

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 07 Mar 2011 15:46

Hello LCFC and welcome :)

That's a very comprehensive list - so I'll say my piece as far as I know

1) Quality of houses around Lower Earley and Woodley, as I would like a solid brick house, with brick walls, no plaster board walls. I do not mind new builds as long as they are solid through. Are there any housing companies and housing areas to stay away from?

Lower Earley is largely a newer area than quite a bit of Woodley - but not totally so. It was never really a village in it's own right although there was the odd property or two. There's not much in the way of shopping, other than a large Asda and in the same development one or two small shops like Drycleaners, Chemist. One or two pubs, the main Police Station and a Liesure Centre. Woodley: was an old village and still has a centre as such. Quite a few older properties, particularly pre WW2, more development was done consistently through the 1960s,70s and 80s.... the most recent probably being the Airfield Estate. North Woodley is regarded generally as being the more expensive end - abutting the A4 and there's some very nice large, expensive detached properties. Sonning Golf Course is there - Sonning Village being across the A4 - coming back towards the centre was built probably late 1940s into 1950's (was certainly established in the 1960s), The Southlake estate further into the centre was certainly built mid-late 60's as where I lived overlooked the development. Provided you choose carefully there's some very pleasant areas.... plenty of green areas/parks, not too many pubs - but easy access along the A4 or A329 (at the other end) to many others.

2) General demographic of these areas, i.e young couples, single parents, old, ritired, renting, etc

LE: I would say majority would be younger couples than retired. It's a bit of maze/network of roads - so unless you have a car, not good for reaching anywhere else. Woodley: more of a mixture...probably younger couples being on the Airfield, Southlake and around Bulmershe School. Woodley infact is now a small Town, with it's own Council - a subsidiary of Wokingham D.C.

3) Any new developments in the area that I would need to be concerned with, is there areas which flood and some no go areas

LE: I think there may be more development yet. Certain areas are certainly prone to flooding - but not all.Woodley I don't think a lot more could or would be done. Possibly areas near the A329 end may just have a flooding problem on occasions - but haven't heard much. The whole area around the Loddon bridge area (A329) does have flooding problems.

4) What is the availability of internet broadband as this would be important as I frequently work from home, any bad experiences with providers such as Virgin, BT?

No idea!

LE: Don't know. Woodley has primary and senior schools. The senior schools (Bulmershe and Waingels) seem to have a reasonable reputation (from what neighbours with teenagers say - my son is older). Sonning Primary (in the village) also seems to be pretty good - one neighbours girl passed to Kendrick (top girl's school in Reading) from there. There is also The Blue Coat school for Boys a fee-paying Independent school just of the A4 - which has a very good reputation and fantastic facilities.

6) Any other things to note about Lower Earley and Woodley which would be useful to know?

I can only really give personal preferences - I'd much rather live in Woodley - and have done, albeit in an older property just off the other A4 access road off at Shepherds Hill.

I now live in what is (see carless-jane) Old Earley - and have done for many years. IMO it's the best of both worlds - easy access to absolutely everything - and the A329M M4 link half mile down the hill - to Bracknell...and on - east or west.

As it happens there are one or two older, solidly built (we've got one!) properties for sale nearby. :beg1:
There's no such thing as a free lunch

LCFC
Contributor

Postby LCFC » 07 Mar 2011 17:06

Hello.

Thanks all for the replies, and especially piwacket for the breakdown.

I guess both have their good sides. Is there anyone on here fron Earley or Lower Earley as piwacket has provided sufficient information about Woodley which I am truely greatful for.

The main aspect I would like to know is that are the developments in Earley of good standard, is there a mixture of houses and what is the quality of the houses, when were they built in Earley?

How is Earley as an area and what is it like living there, many people say that it is souless, but I prefer souless to noisy and busy, especially if you have young children.

I guess I need a Earley person to answer these queires.

:) :-)

User avatar piwacket

Re: Looking at Old and Lower Earley and Woodley

Postby piwacket » 07 Mar 2011 17:50

When you say Earley which part?
Lower Earley - I've spoken of, but see here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl - which is not too far from Maiden Erlegh
Both of which are some mile and a half to two miles from Old Earley - where I live, not far from Shepherds Hill roundabout :) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl so you can then scroll down and see where they both are.

Oh and there is also an Erleigh just to confuse you more!

There's no developments much around here - the odd one or two private houses perhaps but that's all.

Regarding noise, there's none - although the A4 is close by. On the whole gardens are large. As I said earlier, most of the pre or just post - WW2 are totally brick built throughout, and many of the more recently built are of the same high standard. There's not a lot of close-by entertainment if that's what you mean - quiet residential suburb.... even the Youth Club quarter mile away has been closed.... no real problem apparently as the local teenagers go into town, Bulmershe facilities within walking distance and Sonning has Cricket, Hockey and Rugby and Football Clubs, from where I am about a 5-10 minute walk depending which club. Woodley is close by, certainly within wallking distance to parts.

LE: As said, it is a modern estate, built in early 1980s.

I've got this if it's any help - not brilliant but might help.
Earley Map.jpg

LCFC
Contributor

Postby LCFC » 07 Mar 2011 17:59

Hi,

In that repect could you help me understand where Old Earley starts and finishes and where Lower/New Earley starts and finishes, as I was under the impression that anything below Wilderness Road was Lower Earley

regards,

LCFC

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 07 Mar 2011 18:13

Oops - see the edit to my post. :)

Going back to the Google Maps - You can get to Lower Earley from Wilderness Road, via Betchworth Avenue/Silverdale Road two or three schools down there - so it's dreadful to drive down there during school time!! It's far too narrow for buses/school mums - it drops down to Gipsy Lane which joins up with Rushey Way, the main road thru LE.If you turn left at the end of Gipsy Lane Rushey Way then joins the Lower Earley Way or divides at a mini roundabout to go up in a crescent to rejoin Rushey Wy on up to Shinfield Road.

Beech Lane (lots of road humps! Also joins up with Rushey Way

Elm Lane/Wilderness Road junction

Or several turns off to the right along the A329 Wokingham Road - all the way down to the Loddon Bridge roundabout - Lower Earley Way - which then gives a soulless route through it all up to Shinfield Road roundabout junction - That is Lower Earley :beg1:

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 07 Mar 2011 18:44

Hi LCFC and welcome to the forum

Just to ad to Lady Pi’s extensive and informative post –

One small point = there isn’t really a place called ‘Old’ Earley, it sort of came about when Lower Earley was built - parts of Earley then had other area names such as Maiden Earley and - where I live which was once known as Earley St Peters, although that name got dropped many years ago

Lower Earley came about in 1977 after the Earley became a town with its own council - never sure why as it is just a big housing estate!

For more info have a look at this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earley

As for living there – I have many friends and some relatives spiralled across it all so...

Yes as you say, some of it (Lower E) is very soulless and that leads to the usually problems with bored kids / youths etc but no different to other areas – as you can guess most of the housing is 1977 onwards and there are a lot of ‘starter’ style homes in the area

There are a few local shops plus the Asda development plus a few schools

It’s not very convenient for town etc without a car, although the bus service is quite good
The ‘older’ area suffers the same problems but some of it is closer to the Three Tuns junction which is better for the bus

There are some small areas that are quite friendly in that they are set apart from the main housing and have become very localised as communities – my brother is in an area like this next to the police station

An area to possibly look at is off the A4 around the Shepherds Hill area or along Pitts Lane – these are on the edges of the Reading / Woodley / Earley and there are some good places to be found
It’s convenient for the A329M plus good for buses = it’s also less soulless

The biggest problem in general is house prices - I would recomned near were I live but that sort of money would just about get a 3 bed terrace with on road parking!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 07 Mar 2011 18:50

OLDMAN wrote:The biggest problem in general is house prices - I would recomned near were I live but that sort of money would just about get a 3 bed terrace with on road parking!

Sorry, yes, I overlooked that - as Oldman says regrettably that budget really won't go far, except possibly a good terrace house - but IMO you'd need to look - or ask us about where, lots and lots of them as Oldman will confirm - are multi-Uni student lets. There are no old terraces in LE though that may just buy a one or two bedroom semi, and I can't bring to mind many, if any, in Woodley. If you could increase your budget a bit it would help.

User avatar surferneil
Contributor

Postby surferneil » 07 Mar 2011 19:19

I lived for years in Mill Lane and my dad and brother still live there (in differnet houses). My dad definitely considers himself to be in Earley - Lower Earley was built on the other side of the road towards the Loddon. Be careful with school boundaries though - I went to Maiden Erlegh and taught there - I am biased but think it is a great secondary school. The boundary between Maiden Erlegh catchment and not Maiden Erlegh catchment runs right down the middle of Mill Lane, so be sure about the secondary school you want your children to go to before buying a house! My brother's kids went to Loddon school (primary) and really enjoyed it, but because they live on the opposite side of the road to my dad they are not in Maiden Erlegh catchment for secondary school!

PS I think that the houses in Lower Earley are well made - they survived me and my mates trying to knock them down in the 80s when they were half built!
Those who do not look upon themselves as a link, connecting the past with the future, do not perform their duty to the world.

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 07 Mar 2011 20:03

surferneil wrote:I went to Maiden Erlegh and taught there - I am biased but think it is a great secondary school. The boundary between Maiden Erlegh catchment and not Maiden Erlegh catchment runs right down the middle of Mill Lane, so be sure about the secondary school you want your children to go to before buying a house! My brother's kids went to Loddon school (primary) and really enjoyed it, but because they live on the opposite side of the road to my dad they are not in Maiden Erlegh catchment for secondary school!

Yes, I think you're right about Maiden Erlegh School - but it was recently announced that the catchment areas are about to be altered again for ME school.

I'm not sure of the exact details but Wokingham District Council has said something to the effect that only people who pay Council Tax to them can have their children to go there - but do check that, as I don't think that's the whole story. But I know some Reading residents are not happy.

User avatar wendy
Super Contributor

Postby wendy » 07 Mar 2011 20:19

The catchment change is indeed happening at the moment. Most frustrating less than a year after we bought a house listed as being in the ME catchment area. However, there are some excellent primary schools around here (a quick look at the ofsted reports for those in the area you are looking at will show that) so it depends how old your children are - the catchments might change again.

I can't really tell you anything about the area since we havent been here that long but I have no problems (three tuns way so advertised as earley without *really* being there) - easy to get to town, easy for my husband to drive to work in maidenhead and easy for me to get to waterloo by train, 5 minutes from our nursery of choice and an interesting range of local shops and take aways. 250k might be a struggle though, even this far down.

Removed since I dont want to cause trouble :whistle1:
Last edited by wendy on 08 Mar 2011 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

McCy
Contributor

Postby McCy » 07 Mar 2011 20:47

Hi, thought I'd add my two pence worth, in addition to the considerable info that piwacket and others have provided...

1) Quality of houses around Earley and Woodley, as I would like a solid brick house, with brick walls, no plaster board walls. I do not mind new builds as long as they are solid through. Are there any housing companies and housing areas to stay away from?

No idea on companies I'm afraid, but can't say I've noticed many problems with the 1980s-built Lower Earley houses. There have been more houses built since, more out towards Lower Earley Way but have no idea on quality - only thing is that I recall some considerably smaller gardens there when going 'show home surfing' with my mum a good few years ago.

I'm vaguely young and have been in the Maiden Erlegh area most of my life. I would guess that these days younger couples are quite often priced out of the old Earley area, but with making contacts/friends via school I don't think you'd notice it too much. As piwacket has said, there's not much of a 'centre' to Lower Earley, but I remember when growing up that the common cul-de-sacs there were conducive to neighbourhood kids getting together and playing.

As mentioned earlier, it would be the easternmost areas of Lower Earley that would be only slightly at risk. I have a vague memory of some Lower Earley residents kicking off about flood protection - will try to dig out the info.

Can't speak for Virgin, but if it's old Earley we've generally got the full whack of suppliers occupying the Crescent Road exchange (O2, Sky, Tiscali etc) so you've got plenty of choice. Not sure what the exchange coverage is like for Lower Earley or Woodley, but would guess that it's similar.

Would just reinforce the points above about secondary school catchment areas - I wouldn't have too many worries about the quality of the majority of primary schools in the area. The Maiden Erlegh catchment change debate is a long and confusing mess. We've had form letters through the door trying to get us to put our name to one side of the debate. Basically, when they built Lower Earley (which was at one point the largest private housing estate in Europe) in the 1980s, they should have also built a secondary school. More new builds + closure of secondary schools to the south and west -> no great solution that satisfies all in the surrounding area.

6) Any other things to note about Earley and Woodley which would be useful to know?
They're only a short bus ride away from Reading?! :wink: No, I kid.... Nice areas, and I actually commute through Bracknell (to very far out the other side unfortunately!) so know the route well. You'll get a fair build up of traffic on the Wokingham Road and Lower Earley Way approaches to Loddon Bridge from about 7.45am, but it's bearable. They've plonked down a number of annoying traffic lights between Loddon Bridge roundabout and the A329M, for no particular reason other than the trading estate paying for them, but they're not too much grief in the morning. Evenings can get a bit sticky, especially with cars belting it down the wrong lanes and swerving in.

Best of luck with the house search!

LCFC
Contributor

Postby LCFC » 07 Mar 2011 21:53

:goodposting:
Thank you all sooo much for the information, I think this is sufficient enough, along with my and mrs own research in the area to make decisions. The Maiden Erleigh debate is an interesting one, I have heard rave reviews about this school and i'm not suprised that it is sought after.

As you have mentioned my budget is a little modest for the areas I am looking at but I have seen come houses within this amount and I think I may be able to sneak one.

- You mentioned Taylor Wimpey, do you know the ratio of houses that have been built by this company? They were on watchdog not long ago for building shoddy houses...does anyone know which streets or part of earley they have built on.

A few more questions,

- What is the Palmer Park Stadium?
- Is there any trouble from either of the Universities, mostly TVU?
- Is Three Tuns in Earley or Woodley?
- Is Culver Lane and Pitts Lane in Earley or Woodley?
- What is Bulmershe Campus?

regards,

LCFC

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 07 Mar 2011 22:24

Don't really think we can specify which houses in particular are Taylor Wimpey built on an open forum LCFC :) - but if any member wants to tell you by PM - all well and good.

What is the Palmer Park Stadium?

This is a large public recreation park along the Wokingham Road and also has a sports stadium/facilities, I'm not sure exactly what it now comprises as the last time I personally went there was for School sports day!! But I have seen Tennis courts there. It is on land I believe donated by one of the Palmers of Huntley & Palmers fame as a public facility. There's a statue of him in the grounds.... also has a good little RBC Library and lots of green or play areas for children inc. a proper equipped play area.

- Is there any trouble from either of the Universities, mostly TVU?
What sort of trouble? There's no great unruliness if that's what you mean! A lot of streets around the various campuses have student lets - but no signifcant upsets or trouble of any sort - there are one or two campuses and residential Halls ranging across quite a large area at that end of town.... from the main London (A4) road (near the RBHospital) to the south and east - the main campus being on Shinfield Road. TVU is no longer such, but has reverted back to being known as a College..... it's much more of a 6th form/Young Adult College than a Uni per se.

- Is Three Tuns in Earley or Woodley?
The Three Tuns is actually a pub - vritually on a Xroads which sort of marks the boundary between Wokingham DC and Reading BC.

- Is Culver Lane and Pitts Lane in Earley or Woodley?
Culver Lane is probably more Earley than Old E... whereas Pitts Lane is Old Earley.

- What is Bulmershe Campus?
It's a Uni Campus - on entering Woodley at Woodlands Avenue/Church Road, Earley. It was mainly the Film/Theatre and similar studies section - don't know if that's still the case - but again there's talk of demolishing it and building some (commercial) flats to rent.

daisyanne
Super Contributor

Postby daisyanne » 07 Mar 2011 23:34

Hi to be honest your best bet as far as crime avoidance is earley. Both woodley and lower earley have a teen problems from time to time both have had some very nasty crimes recently. But old earley very very rarely. Plus houses are more generouse. Area on the whole more quite with still green areas. It is near everything whether by road or rail. Quite easy to get to decent schools and good doctors ect:. House price might be pushing it in any of these areas for a house of good size.

User avatar wendy
Super Contributor

Postby wendy » 08 Mar 2011 09:40

I cant imagine that you would have any issues with something already built so I dont think that is something you particularly have to worry about unless you are looking to buy off plan. I would suggest you visit the areas quite a bit though - I know when we were looking to rent there were some issues with things like access and parking so it probably varies a lot from street to street.

Palmer park is lovely. I havent been in to the stadium but I believe its excellent - good running track, football facilities, gym etc. The park itself is fantastic with outdoor play areas, a small shop selling refreshments, a library, tennis courts etc and there are lots of very nice ice cream parlours and cake shops around for a bit of a treat afterwards if youre taking children. I love being in walking distance of it and its one of the things I would recommend being close to. The university lake is also fantastic for children with plenty of space for picnics or just going for a walk with the ducks and geese.

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 08 Mar 2011 10:34

A quick addition to the above –

Palmer Park / Stadium
The park dates back to 1889 as was donated by the Palmer family and has a clause on it that stops it being developed for anything other than public use!
The stadium does boast one of the few velodrome’s in the country and was fully refurbished a few years back with full athletics facilities and gymnasium

The park itself has had extensive work over the last few years particularly the ‘play’ areas for younger children which are now fenced in (no dogs) with a variety of ‘safe’ play equipment – all in all a very nice place which I use very regularly

The Three Tuns is a pub, but the crossroads just there has always been known by that name and yes it was sort of in Early as the area behind as I have mentioned was once known as Earley St Peters – it’s now on the borders!

Students – generally not a problem, where I live there is a high level of them due to the type of housing and mostly being bought by landlords for MO lets
The only real problem is parking which has rising over the years as more students have cars theses days and the more MO lets makes it worse
There is talk of extending the resident parking scheme which will help by cutting back the number of cars per household!

Bulmershe Campus
As been said it’s another part of the University which has several outlying campus’s around the town

Its recently been renovated with more student lets but does still run courses in humanities subjects such as History, Geography, and English plus a few other things so it tends to be a generally fairly quiet / laid back area

I think tht covers it!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

User avatar Chris

Postby Chris » 08 Mar 2011 10:41

Pretty good write up so far of the various areas discussed.

I used to live in Lower Earley, and can echo Piwacket's sentiments. It's a soulless housing estate. If you want middle-class suburbia, this is for you!

I thought I'd chuck in Caversham to the mix (of course) - £250k can buy you a 3 bed house in the Micklands catchment area. Micklands recently hired a new head teacher who has done amazing things at the school. We just moved out of a street near Micklands, and have plenty of friends who's children are at Micklands. Some have been offered moves to the 'esteemed' Hill school and have declined... This is what £250k could get you: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 27953.html

I worked in Bracknell for 2 years - and if I left at 7.30am, I'd be there for 8 - or leaving at 5pm would get me home for 5.30pm (any later on both journeys add an extra 50%+ on time...)
Enjoying rural life

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 08 Mar 2011 11:33

OLDMAN wrote: with a variety of ‘safe’ play equipment – all in all a very nice place which I use very regularly

I think tht covers it!

Oh Oldman which bits of play equipment do you use regularly - I'll get up a party of Forum members and we'll come along and cheer you on :whistle1:

LCFC
Contributor

Postby LCFC » 08 Mar 2011 11:56

All,

Thanks again for the replies and wealth of information, you have been very helpful.

I think with anyone buying a property, some of it is down to luck and availability, but I think I will now start researching the Earley A4 road area a bit more as I just thought of this area as a section between Caversham and Woodley.

regards,
LCFC

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 08 Mar 2011 12:13

piwacket wrote:
OLDMAN wrote: with a variety of ‘safe’ play equipment – all in all a very nice place which I use very regularly

I think tht covers it!

Oh Oldman which bits of play equipment do you use regularly - I'll get up a party of Forum members and we'll come along and cheer you on :whistle1:

Well strange you should say that but…………

The big swinging basket thing is really comfortable and I would imagine very relaxing on a nice sunny day – bit like a large hammock

The voice amplifier / transmitters are fun – see how low you can whisper before the other end can’t hear you

Not tried any others as yet but there are often a lot of ‘older’ (not yob type) people using them later at night when I go past – a young coupe where having a quiet swing / cuddle (all innocent) on the above one at about 1:30pm a few weeks back when we had those couple of warmish evenings and there are often a few lads playing footy late in the area!
Oldman........

User avatar wendy
Super Contributor

Postby wendy » 08 Mar 2011 12:51

Those big swings are great.

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 08 Mar 2011 13:00

wendy wrote:Those big swings are great.

So was that you on them late at night? :roflol3:
Oldman........

User avatar wendy
Super Contributor

Postby wendy » 08 Mar 2011 13:04

:roflol3: Unfortunately not, but I do have lots of photographs of us in them.

Mayfield
Super Contributor

Postby Mayfield » 08 Mar 2011 13:05

Chris wrote:Pretty good write up so far of the various areas discussed.

I used to live in Lower Earley, and can echo Piwacket's sentiments. It's a soulless housing estate. If you want middle-class suburbia, this is for you!

I thought I'd chuck in Caversham to the mix (of course) - £250k can buy you a 3 bed house in the Micklands catchment area. Micklands recently hired a new head teacher who has done amazing things at the school. We just moved out of a street near Micklands, and have plenty of friends who's children are at Micklands. Some have been offered moves to the 'esteemed' Hill school and have declined... This is what £250k could get you: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 27953.html

I worked in Bracknell for 2 years - and if I left at 7.30am, I'd be there for 8 - or leaving at 5pm would get me home for 5.30pm (any later on both journeys add an extra 50%+ on time...)

Thats a good buy - small third bedroom though. Pretty good mix of age groups in the area.....good bus service, walking distance to Caversham itself and there are pretty good local shops more locally

User avatar h3mp
Super Contributor

Postby h3mp » 08 Mar 2011 13:10

I Live in Lower Earley, not far from the large Asda store..

LCFC wrote:1) Quality of houses around Earley and Woodley, as I would like a solid brick house, with brick walls, no plaster board walls. I do not mind new builds as long as they are solid through. Are there any housing companies and housing areas to stay away from?

The houses near me were all built around 1980 - they are brick on the outside with a double-skin.. (not sure if the inside skin is brick or block, never pulled the walls apart :carrot: ) - anyhow, the inside surface of mine is plaster board, this is suspended about a centimetre from the wall (presumably on big blobs of sticky stuff) - so this has pros and cons... putting heavy shelves up is a pain as you need to use plasterboard fixings which always seem to go wrong for me lol - but for surround sound speakers it was a nice bonus I could drill a hole, then manage to drop the wire down the inside of the board and get it back out again near the floor!

LCFC wrote:2) General demographic of these areas, i.e young couples, single parents, old, ritired, renting, etc

Mainly young couples, some young families, a fair few single people.. (not so many retired people), Majority in my street are not renting.

LCFC wrote:4) What is the availability of internet broadband as this would be important as I frequently work from home, any bad experiences with providers such as Virgin, BT?

Virgin Covers 99% of Lower Earley, and I am in the 1% where I am at the very end of my close, and the cable stops 1 house short of me grrrrr!
ADSL broadband is OK, for some reason the exchange isn't very close to us... I only used to get 2Mbps, but now on sky's ADSL2+ service I get about 3.5Mbs - not amazing, but more than adequate.

LCFC wrote:6) Any other things to note about Earley and Woodley which would be useful to know?

Lower Earley is quite good for local amenities,
On the west side near the Asda you also have a petrol station, McDonalds, M&S food, dominos pizza, sports centre, toby carvery, another pub, and lots of little shops in the Asda also like dry cleaners, boots, estate agents, opticians..
In the middle you have the maiden place precinct, this has a pub, chippy, chinese takeaway, indian, italian, hairdressers, pet shop, off licence, general stores, curves gym, and best of all "Kei's Peking Restaurant" which is an awesome chinese (as long as you can cope with the prices on the wine list!)
On the east side you can walk through the woods to the winnersh showcase cinema and the George pub...
(all the above is walkable from anywhere within Lower Earley really..)
Mark. :drink7:

User avatar Chris

Postby Chris » 08 Mar 2011 14:53

Mayfield wrote:
Chris wrote:Pretty good write up so far of the various areas discussed.

Thats a good buy - small third bedroom though. Pretty good mix of age groups in the area.....good bus service, walking distance to Caversham itself and there are pretty good local shops more locally

Same layout as our house was (which we sold for less!!) - except we had a garage and the chimney was ripped out to give more space...
Enjoying rural life

User avatar wendy
Super Contributor

Postby wendy » 08 Mar 2011 14:58

Similar to the third bedroom in the house we sold. Its ideal as a study or a single room with the right furniture.

User avatar piwacket

Postby piwacket » 08 Mar 2011 15:03

Chris wrote: This is what £250k could get you: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for ... 27953.html

I'm struggling to think where that house is in Prospect Street?

And how do you get to the garage - certainly not down the side entrance surely?

User avatar cnb
Super Contributor

Postby cnb » 08 Mar 2011 15:10

I'm struggling to think where that house is in Prospect Street?

The agent's office is in Prospect Street, the house is in Mayfield Drive...

I imagine the garage is accessed via the driveway on the left (shared with the other garage in the picture).
Chris

--
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." - Homer J. Simpson

User avatar Chris

Postby Chris » 08 Mar 2011 15:28

It looks like the developers have removed access to the garage. Let's face it, only an enthusiast uses a garage now for it's proper purpose. The house has 2 parking spaces at the front :)

The 3rd beds are small - big enough for a nursery or study. The 2 double bedrooms are very nicely sized though.

Mayfield Drive is a nice sleepy road - best community spirit of any road I've ever lived in.
Enjoying rural life

Mayfield
Super Contributor

Postby Mayfield » 08 Mar 2011 16:07

Not every house in Mayfield Drive had access for a garage - the houses were built in 1939, fewer people had cars and what cars they owned were smaller. I think the builder was a Mr May. There are allotments in the middle and a nod and wink in the right direction could get you one -

User avatar Chris

Postby Chris » 08 Mar 2011 16:12

Mayfield wrote:Not every house in Mayfield Drive had access for a garage - the houses were built in 1939, fewer people had cars and what cars they owned were smaller. I think the builder was a Mr May. There are allotments in the middle and a nod and wink in the right direction could get you one -

Yes, interesting story I was told about them. I was told the inner area was going to be built up in to houses as well, but the 2nd world war started, so the land was requisitioned for growing food. When the war finished, the land was forgotten about! It certainly isn't a council allotment.
Enjoying rural life

Return to “Are you thinking of moving to Reading?”