RAOB club Rupert Lodge 6731

don't know where to post it! ......
User avatar Bam
Super Contributor

RAOB club Rupert Lodge 6731

Postby Bam » 01 Mar 2013 14:37

A deceased uncle was a senior member of the Buffs Club who used to meet at the Marquis of Granby. An internet search shows the Buffs seem to have evaporated in the Reading district and there are refs to their HQ being re-developed.

Can anyone throw any light on this for me please? If the Rupert Lodge is still running I would like to contact one of the "Brothers".
A politician is a person elected to make mistakes on our behalf.

User avatar Les

Re: RAOB club Rupert Lodge 6731

Postby Les » 01 Mar 2013 15:41

I recall working in the RAOB (Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes) meeting room a long while ago which I think was above a pub in Rupert St.. Perhaps they relocated to the Granby when their existing meeting room was demolished or something. Have you Googled them Bam? It might come up with some clues.
www.flickr.com/photos/lesdray
Les.
You do not stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing. George Bernard Shaw

User avatar Bam
Super Contributor

Postby Bam » 01 Mar 2013 16:55

Les wrote:I recall working in the RAOB (Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes) meeting room a long while ago which I think was above a pub in Rupert St.. Perhaps they relocated to the Granby when their existing meeting room was demolished or something. Have you Googled them Bam? It might come up with some clues.

I could not find anything on Google except a ref to the defunct HQ in Reading. Otherwise, all I found was a very small website for RAOB uk and I did enquire on their contacts page so maybe I will get an answer. In 1968 the postal address of their "Rupert Lodge" was the Marquis of Granby but the name would suggest they started in Rupert St.

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 01 Mar 2013 17:08

Well, good luck with that Bam, please keep me posted. I guess that it was prior to '68 when I worked there
Les.
You do not stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing. George Bernard Shaw

dave m
Super Contributor

Postby dave m » 02 Mar 2013 11:09

wasn't there an RAOB club on the corner of King's Rd and the Forbury Rd ( actually one building -the old Tahj was on the corner)

I think it closed 10 maybe 15 yearsago?

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 02 Mar 2013 11:13

I thought that there might have been another one Dave but I couldn't be sure.

I was just trying to think what one of the other organisations was called, the one where the 'lodges' were known as 'Shell Holes'.
Les.

dave m
Super Contributor

Postby dave m » 02 Mar 2013 11:21

http://www.tvas.co.uk/reports/pdf/KRR03-32dsk.pdf
99 Kings rd. The flats currently on the corner (something Warf) include the site

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 02 Mar 2013 12:12

Those documents do seem unduly verbal to me but I suppose in the interests of 'leaving no stone unturned' I guess that they are justified. Easy enough to nod off while reading them though.
Les.

User avatar Bam
Super Contributor

Postby Bam » 02 Mar 2013 17:13

Les wrote:I was just trying to think what one of the other organisations was called, the one where the 'lodges' were known as 'Shell Holes'.

The only similar "regalia" organisation I can think of apart from the Masons are the Oddfellows. Then there is the Rotary and Round Table but they stand out in a league of their own.

User avatar lizwing
Super Contributor

Postby lizwing » 02 Mar 2013 18:29

Les wrote:I thought that there might have been another one Dave but I couldn't be sure.

I was just trying to think what one of the other organisations was called, the one where the 'lodges' were known as 'Shell Holes'.

It was the Moths,Les. Memorable Order of Tin Hats
What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about ?

User avatar Bam
Super Contributor

Postby Bam » 02 Mar 2013 18:44

Reminds me of father-in law Tom, who did firewatch duties etc in the UTP . . . "Up Thames to Pub" . .their HQ being the Roebuck.

UTP.JPG

dave m
Super Contributor

Postby dave m » 06 Mar 2013 12:17

http://readingimages.epixtech.co.uk/loc/1214367.PDF

RAOB was the low building a few buildings in from the corner.

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 06 Mar 2013 13:19

Sorry BAM – missed this when you posted it

I knew a few RAOB members and got invited to join myself at one time

Many where members of other clubs I attended such as The Salisbury and Balfour so I got to know them then, plus -

I had an old school mate whose family where long time members and his father, and then his younger brother both held office at times – the family name was Moles

They used to meet at the M of G (I never went there as either too young / not interested) but they later moved to the Kings Rd (as posted by Dave) when they got bigger and that place was purpose built – not sure of the dates

I went to many events in there, darts / parties etc

Later on as part of the development in the area (see attached image) they lost the old building and had a new place built as part of the deal – the doorway is in about the same place
But whilst this was going on many members I knew sort of lost interest so it seemed to die off after that – I only went to one event in the new building

Not sure when they packed up from there or where they went after that

If I see anyone I know that was a member I will ask
raob.jpg
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

User avatar Bam
Super Contributor

Postby Bam » 06 Mar 2013 15:03

Thanks Oldman.

User avatar Bam
Super Contributor

Postby Bam » 09 Mar 2013 09:40

I think I may have possibly found a clue as to the demise of the Buffs.

I found their "Manual of Instructions" and was surprised to see a paragraph entitled "PARTAKING OF WEED", even more surprised to read . . . . ."the Worthy Primo will duly give permission to consume all forms of weed, and the Bretheren present will then be at liberty to indulge during the remainder of the lodge sesssion."

This would also explain why I found two lovely clay pipes in the box of regalia, one with a buffaloe's head.

Sadly this may explain why a friend of mine died by falling into the harbour shortly after leaving a local Buffs club.

No wonder they met in some secrecy behind closed doors and I wonder which dealer they used for supplies? :whistle1:

User avatar OLDMAN

Postby OLDMAN » 11 Mar 2013 14:16

Must admit never saw anything like the when I visited

Most of the time it was just a normal social club

A couple off do’s I went to they did have some ceremonial things going on – all dressed in heavy cloaks / fancy hats and odd garb with heavy neck chains / badges etc!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

Return to “anything else”