Brunel Retail Park, Whitley

User avatar monsento
Super Contributor

Brunel Retail Park, Whitley

Postby monsento » 11 Dec 2005 21:32

looks like this refurbishment has turned out well everything looks much cleaner now

Wozza
Super Contributor

Postby Wozza » 12 Dec 2005 12:41

The other one is meant to be a health club. Seems a styrange place to put oine though

BBB
Super Contributor

Postby BBB » 12 Dec 2005 14:45

Which one is the Brunel Retail Park ?

User avatar monsento
Super Contributor

Postby monsento » 13 Dec 2005 22:12

its behind morrisons

peterson
Super Contributor

Postby peterson » 13 Dec 2005 23:19

which units are these stores taking?

BBB
Super Contributor

Postby BBB » 14 Dec 2005 13:17

Oh, I saw that they were putting an extension on the store that is closest to Morrisons when I drove past the other day !

My Wife will be happy. Didn't look a huge extension though, so I guess one of the existing units is closing down.

Wozza
Super Contributor

Postby Wozza » 14 Dec 2005 18:28

All units will be new.

One next to Pc World, One next to Halfords and one between Comet and JJB. At the L shape they are filling in the gap at the back to fit another unit in.

funkeh
Contributor

Postby funkeh » 14 Dec 2005 22:14

And the Fabric Superstore has just closed down? Shame that, I always liked to get bits and pieces from there.

But on the bright side, I realised today that Brantano's stocks Mexx accessories and they are on sale (a tip for the guys for last-minute xmas presents for the ladies in your lives - gorgeous belts and handbags and things)

User avatar monsento
Super Contributor

Postby monsento » 22 Dec 2005 19:25

any updates?

BBB
Super Contributor

Postby BBB » 20 Apr 2006 12:09

Sounds like this chap has made a few enemies recently.

ChrisA

Postby ChrisA » 20 Apr 2006 13:59

Hmm, if this is true he sounds like a candidate for an appearance on Watchdog!

User avatar monsento
Super Contributor

Postby monsento » 25 Nov 2007 15:35

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobbster</i>
<br />Well hello to all as this is the Simon Clarke.
If any one would like to contact me in reference to the Shop "reading fabric superstore" please do so via email on simon_clarke19@hotmail.com and would like to assist in any way possiable as to the arguments reared with me or the business, there are allways to sides to the story as to the person whose is called mad bird she was a member of staff and well she .......i have more respect than to air my laundry in public and as to peter belcher i still have your curtain poles,contact me please. The man with the blinds also contact me as do not have as you did leave with me for many months and we did try to contact you, but now contact me.
May i also add a thankyou to anita for your kind words and am pleased that you are happy with your curtains contac t me too if you would like to see my new shop and thankyou funkeh for your concern.
May all you others not make judgement on what you are not fully aware of the situation. The company simply ran out of money. I would welcome any comments. thanyou for reading Simon.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

so mr nob have you redeemed your sould?

Wozza
Super Contributor

Postby Wozza » 14 Jan 2008 14:16

Just read this.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/2020/2020172/dad_33_dies_of_heart_failure

Dad, 33, dies of heart failure
A BUSINESSMAN dad-of-four who had just started a new job to spend more time with his young family has died of heart failure aged 33.

Simon Clarke, who lived in Tilehurst with his wife and children ? the youngest of whom is just two months old ? died suddenly in Royal Berkshire Hospital on Wednesday, January 2.

Mr Clarke had opened his own business, Just Curtains, in Prospect Street, Caversham, a year ago after running Reading Fabrics Superstore in Rose Kiln Lane for years.

He hoped the smaller business would give him more time to spend at home with his wife and children.

His sister Zoey Price, 34, who lives in Bracknell, said: ?My brother was very bubbly and outgoing, he loved life really.

?It?s just such a big shock to the whole family, it was so sudden.?

Mr Clarke grew up with his family in Woodley, and as a youngster he and his sister competed in ballroom dancing competitions.

Mrs Price, who now teaches dance professionally at the County School of Dance in Southampton Street, said: ?We did a bit of Latin dancing but he preferred ballroom. He was 6ft 4in and with a slim build so he was very graceful.

?He last competed when he was 18. We used to do medals in dancing and he did them all the way up to the national award.

?About nine months ago he brought his children down to the school to get them involved in dancing too.?

Mr Clarke has four children ? Min, nine, and Mik, seven, who he adopted from his widow Kantima?s previous marriage ? and two daughters Sammi, two, and Amy, two months, with his wife.

Mr Clarke met Kantima, who is Thai, while he was on a business trip in Thailand, and they married in the Asian country over Christmas in 2004.

Mrs Price said: ?He used to go to Thailand quite a bit with business, building up contacts. He used to love it out there. His wife Kantima came back to Reading with him, and she wanted to look after the children and help with the family business.

?She wants to keep it going as it is, but it?s all up in the open at the moment. We don?t know what will happen, as he used to run it on his own.?

Mr Clarke?s other great passion was Formula One racing and as well as watching the races at all times of the night he also went to the Malaysian Grand Prix and the German Grand Prix.

Mrs Price said: ?He was a Ferrari-mad person, and we all chipped in and bought him a day driving a Ferrari a few years ago. He absolutely loved it.?

Mr Clarke also leaves behind his parents Geoff and Brenda, who have flown over from Australia where they now live, and another sister Lisa.

He will also be remembered by his many friends and business associates in Reading.

His former employer and friend, Fred Potts, who runs Freelance Fabrics in Woodley, said: ?Simon was an extremely energetic character, very knowledgeable and enthusiastic in all he did.

?He will be remembered as a character by his friends and colleagues. At this tragic time our thoughts go to his wife and children.?

Mr Clarke?s funeral was held at St Michael?s Church in Tilehurst this morning.

User avatar monsento
Super Contributor

Postby monsento » 15 Jan 2008 04:49

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andrew</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobbster</i>
If any one would like to contact me in reference to the Shop "reading fabric superstore" please do so via email on simon_clarke19@hotmail.com and would like to assist in any way possiable as to the arguments reared with me or the business, there are allways to sides to the story as to the person whose is called mad bird she was a member of staff and well she .......i have more respect than to air my laundry in public and as to peter belcher i still have your curtain poles,contact me please. The man with the blinds also contact me as do not have as you did leave with me for many months and we did try to contact you, but now contact me.
May i also add a thankyou to anita for your kind words and am pleased that you are happy with your curtains contac t me too if you would like to see my new shop and thankyou funkeh for your concern.
May all you others not make judgement on what you are not fully aware of the situation. The company simply ran out of money. I would welcome any comments. thanyou for reading Simon.

so mr nob have you redeemed your soul?

Bugs Bottom

Postby Bugs Bottom » 15 Jan 2008 07:50

Personal feelings are dwarfed in the face of the premature death of a 33 year old father. Despite the allegations posted in the thread above, I feel that an expression of sympathy to his wife and family would also be appropriate.

User avatar monsento
Super Contributor

Postby monsento » 15 Jan 2008 08:14

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andrew</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Andrew</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nobbster</i>

so mr nob have you redeemed your soul?

dont i feel a bit of an arse now my thoughts focus on his young children

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 15 Jan 2008 09:49

I suppose that there is a lesson to be learned here, as in any situation, that whatever one says is liable to come back and haunt one. But whatever, I think that all of us on Reading Forum, whatever we have said or even mis-understood in the past, do express our greatest sympathy with the family of the late Simon Clarke.

smiff
Super Contributor

Postby smiff » 18 Jan 2008 03:07

Putting his family aside, this man failed to deliver goods people had paid him for. He was obviously in business to fleece people so...I'll say no more. What goes around, comes around.

User avatar Les

Postby Les » 19 Jan 2008 17:56

soomagoo, if you do come back, see my post above smiff's and I think that you will see that we do try to correct our mistakes. However, the fact remains that some people have had bad experiences at this man's shop, and they are entitled to air their views, the same as you are.

Return to “Property developments in Reading”