Primark to move 220 jobs from Reading to Ireland

acc
Contributor

Primark to move 220 jobs from Reading to Ireland

Post by acc »

Primark has told 220 of its staff in the UK that they must agree to move to Ireland or risk being made redundant.

The changes will affect staff at Primark’s UK office in Reading, with roles in buying, sourcing, quality control, design and merchandising set to be shifted to Dublin from September.

Reading-based staff have been offered the chance to relocate to Ireland in a reorganisation intended to help the company’s push for international expansion, but they have also been told they may face redundancy as a “last resort” if they do not.

The group’s Reading office will remain open, with around 270 staff not subject to the move to Ireland.

More details.
maggieaitch
Super Contributor

Re: Primark to move 220 jobs from Reading to Ireland

Post by maggieaitch »

Thankfully the management have said there is no connection to brexit.
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

maggieaitch wrote: 07 Mar 2019 22:06 Thankfully the management have said there is no connection to brexit.
Yes, thank the Lord they didn't consider that. Ruled it out completely. Absolutely not on the agenda, Ted. :-)
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

The group’s Reading office will remain open, with around 270 staff not subject to the move to Ireland, the company said.

“Primark’s office in Reading continues to play a vital role in our business and many of our teams across a number of core functions will continue to be based there,” Culligan added.

Funny, I've worked for a large company where jobs were shifted elsewhere - only that was way before the referendum. This can and does happen despite it.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

maggieaitch wrote: 07 Mar 2019 22:06 Thankfully the management have said there is no connection to brexit.
Well. They have to say that if they want to keep the British public sweet. Either they say "Sorry, you've made a massive mistake and you're a bunch of iditos, we're off", or they say something more diplomatic in order to protect their sales and business here.

The list of companies leaving the UK at the moment is mind boggling. What a coincidence it's brexit month.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

:goodposting:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Not surprising as they are an Irish company with a large head office in Dublin so why not
I know someone who works in the offices at Reading Primark and got told last week by them, they have been talking about this for ages, even when she was in the old head office they had in Sheffield

She came to the Reading office when it opened here – but she isn’t moving out of her position (accounts)

So **** all to do with Brexit
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

The company I worked for moved hundreds of jobs (including mine) out from the UK to other countries 3 years ago and not a murmur was made. They did so before that and continue to do so.

It is something companies do all the time, mainly for reasons of cost.
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:16 Not surprising as they are an Irish company with a large head office in Dublin so why not
I know someone who works in the offices at Reading Primark and got told last week by them, they have been talking about this for ages, even when she was in the old head office they had in Sheffield

She came to the Reading office when it opened here – but she isn’t moving out of her position (accounts)

There was a cartoon in the paper yesterday of two Bankers congratulating themselves .... that until the Referendum all the ills of a business and/or it’s mismanagement were blamed on them - but now it’s “Brexit” ....
There's no such thing as a free lunch
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Fed-up wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:16 The company I worked for moved hundreds of jobs (including mine) out from the UK to other countries 3 years ago and not a murmur was made. They did so before that and continue to do so.

It is something companies do all the time, mainly for reasons of cost.
Yep. I've said the same above.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Of course companies move jobs around all the time. It is just that they normally don't all seem to do it in the same direction, and in the same couple of months.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

chris_j_wood wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:50 Of course companies move jobs around all the time. It is just that they normally don't all seem to do it in the same direction, and in the same couple of months.
:banghead: :roflol3: :banghead:
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

The level of credulousness some people demonstrate is alarming. No wonder so many were sold a simple, easy brexit and still believe that rubbish.

Still, a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

chris_j_wood wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:50 Of course companies move jobs around all the time. It is just that they normally don't all seem to do it in the same direction, and in the same couple of months.
'Seem'.
If
But
could

If you could provide evidence please? I've known major companies announce job losses/moves at the same time before prior to the referendum.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Bannock wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:57 No wonder so many were sold a simple, easy brexit and still believe that rubbish.

Don't try and put your own naivety on others. Most people I know didn't think it would be easy.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Not an exhaustive list of companies:
Sony
Dyson
Panasonic
Lloyds
Unilever
Goldman Sachs
Barclays
Airbus
FlyBMI
P&O
HSBC
JP Morgan
UBS
Ford
Hitachi
Toshiba
AXA
Honda
MoneyGram
Philips
Primark
European Medicines Agency
Bank of America
Toyota
Vauxhall
BMW Mini
Jaguar Land Rover
Jacob Rees-Mogg's Investment Fund

None of this has anything to do with Brexit, eh?

Wake up.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Record employment figures. Bloody brexit.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Melchett wrote: 08 Mar 2019 11:05
Bannock wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:57 No wonder so many were sold a simple, easy brexit and still believe that rubbish.

Don't try and put your own naivety on others. Most people I know didn't think it would be easy.
Oh come on Melchett, one pro Brexit politician said it would be the easiest negotiation ever....

What else was he wrong about ?
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 08 Mar 2019 11:05 Most people I know didn't think it would be easy.
Didn't they?. I'm surprised, given that they were told it would be by the Leave campaign. It seems a bit odd to not believe a campaign and then go and vote for it anyway.

billboard3.jpg.gallery.jpg
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

:goodposting:
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

.... and yet another Topic is infiltrated by ****** Brexit!
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

Amazing, isn't it? All evidence points to brexit in any form being an unmitigated disaster on every level, and yet the true believers just double down on the tired old arguments.
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

piwacket wrote: 08 Mar 2019 12:05 .... and yet another Topic is infiltrated by ****** Brexit!
Well you ******* wanted it!

:banghead: :roflol3: :banghead:
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

chris_j_wood wrote: 08 Mar 2019 11:55
Melchett wrote: 08 Mar 2019 11:05 Most people I know didn't think it would be easy.
Didn't they?. I'm surprised, given that they were told it would be by the Leave campaign. It seems a bit odd to not believe a campaign and then go and vote for it anyway.

billboard3.jpg.gallery.jpg
I don't know Liam Fox.
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Mayfield wrote: 08 Mar 2019 11:56 :goodposting:
Except I don't know Liam Fox. I said 'most people I know'. If you can't grasp that......
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Bannock wrote: 08 Mar 2019 12:06 Amazing, isn't it? All evidence points to brexit in any form being an unmitigated disaster on every level, and yet the true believers just double down on the tired old arguments.
Oh the irony.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Bannock wrote: 08 Mar 2019 12:07
piwacket wrote: 08 Mar 2019 12:05 .... and yet another Topic is infiltrated by ****** Brexit!
Well you ******* wanted it!
Yep! Together with 17+ million other voters I believe :)
Bannock
Super Contributor

Post by Bannock »

So stop bloody moaning about it then. Your paradise, in which other people's lives are turned in to a living hell, awaits. You've got the gall to post a smilie face? Spite. Pure spite. You and your sort will be held in contempt for what you've done for generations. History will be your judge, and it will be coruscating.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I don't think there is any need to be insulting Bannock. People were given the choice, it wasn't clearly explained and in some cases there are things that are unforeseen.
If people made an informed choice, given the information available at the time, fair enough.

The fact that key Brexiteers didn't and in some cases, still haven't, got their ducks in a row, isn't the fault of the 'ordinary' voter.
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Melchett wrote: 08 Mar 2019 12:09
chris_j_wood wrote: 08 Mar 2019 11:55 Didn't they?. I'm surprised, given that they were told it would be by the Leave campaign. It seems a bit odd to not believe a campaign and then go and vote for it anyway.

... Picture of Liam Fox's famous quote to illustrate my point ...
I don't know Liam Fox.
Did you actually read my post?. If you did, can you explain the relevance of your response to my post, which quite clearly never suggested you did know Liam Fox.
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

OLDMAN wrote: 08 Mar 2019 10:16 Not surprising as they are an Irish company with a large head office in Dublin so why not

Primark, as I have said before, is the largest profit centre for Allied British Foods. ABF includes Allied Bakeries, British Sugar, Primark, Pataks sauces , Twinings tea and many other household names. Primark was originally an Irish company, as Oldman correctly says. Any move from the U.K. by Primark or any other part of ABF, will have been made in view of the overall company strategy taken by the board of ABF.

ABF is owned by an Australian company. Brexit will be furthest from their mind. Profit will.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Yes VoT and as the lady on TV said yesterday they want to expand, not least in Europe. That's going to be a whole lot more profitable from an EU country with no border delays, associated paperwork etc.
Given the circumstances it's a good trading decision ....
Melchett

Post by Melchett »

Didn't Primark say it wasn't Brexit related?
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Mar 2019 14:56 Primark, as I have said before, is the largest profit centre for Allied British Foods. ABF includes Allied Bakeries, British Sugar, Primark, Pataks sauces , Twinings tea and many other household names. Primark was originally an Irish company, as Oldman correctly says.
Primark has always been a subsidiary of Associated British Foods, but yest it was started I Dublin with ABF money.
Voiceoftreason? wrote: 08 Mar 2019 14:56Any move from the U.K. by Primark or any other part of ABF, will have been made in view of the overall company strategy taken by the board of ABF.

ABF is owned by an Australian company. Brexit will be furthest from their mind. Profit will.
ABF is a public limited company listed on the London Stock Exchange. 54.5% of the shares of ABF are owned by Wittington Investments, a private limited company registered in the UK, which is 79.2% owned by the Garfield Weston Foundation, a grant-giving charity based in the UK, but founded by Canadian businessman W. Garfield Weston. The 9 trustees who control the foundation (and therefore Wittington and ABF) are 8 Canadians and an American, but all of them except one of the Canadians are UK residents.

Much of the remaining 45.5% of ABF shares will be owned by UK pension funds, since ABF is a component of the FTSE-100.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

Pooneil wrote: 08 Mar 2019 17:17 Primark has always been a subsidiary of Associated British Foods, but yest it was started I Dublin with ABF money. ABF is a public limited company listed on the London Stock Exchange. 54.5% of the shares of ABF are owned by Wittington Investments, a private limited company registered in the UK, which is 79.2% owned by the Garfield Weston Foundation, a grant-giving charity based in the UK ...
And the Garfield Weston Foundation has a history of supporting anti-EU groups. In 2010 the Charity Commission found it to be in breach of UK law in its donations to the Conservative Party (a mere £900,000), the Centre for Policy Studies, the European Foundation and the Labour Euro-Safeguards Campaign.

So this is possibly another example of championing Brexit and then running away from the consequences, much like Dyson and Jim Ratcliffe.
Melchett wrote: 08 Mar 2019 17:08 Didn't Primark say it wasn't Brexit related?
Mandy Rice Davies applies.

Or reread Bannock's post near the top of the thread .

Return to “Property developments in Reading”