Celebrity Tributes

don't know where to post it! ......
coxy1937
Super Contributor

Re: Celebrity Tributes

Post by coxy1937 »

Bam wrote: 22 Jan 2020 18:34
coxy1937 wrote: 22 Jan 2020 15:38 I made the pattern for the cast alloy wheels for Mr Toad's car in Wind in the Willows . The film was directed by Terry Jones . .
Gosh coxy, Toad's wheels you are famous . . . PEEP PEEP . . .TALLY HO!!
Yes Bam , enjoyed that job. They based the car on a Land Rover chassis and the wheels had to bolt on to the existing hubs. they said I could see the car when it was finished, shame it never happened, can't remember why. i would have liked some film work.Bet Bucklers could have built a vintage car like that.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 22 Jan 2020 14:03 Ex Python Terry Jones is now the defunct, late Python.
Aw! Such a brilliant, funny man, and what a dreadful illness he had, so cruel. RIP
There's no such thing as a free lunch
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

chris_j_wood wrote: 21 Jan 2020 10:16 In commemoration, here is my favourite quote (from Animal Farm):
My most memorable quote from George Orwell - it would be wrong to say it was a favourite - is "Do it to Julia". Winston Smith has been broken. For me, this is the culmination of the story. Big Brother (cf. Fake News, Social Media) has won.

“Under the spreading chestnut tree I sold you and you sold me"
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

piwacket wrote: 22 Jan 2020 19:52
lizwing wrote: 22 Jan 2020 14:03 Ex Python Terry Jones is now the defunct, late Python.
Aw! Such a brilliant, funny man, and what a dreadful illness he had, so cruel. RIP
Back in the last millennium when I used to run a bar, Terry Jones would occasionally come in for a quiet beer on a summer's early evening and wait to meet his then wife who worked a handful of yards away. Quiet but pleasant chap. On one occasion Michael Palin came in too - the frisson of having one-third of Monthy Python sat twenty feet from me drinking beer I'd sold them was quite palpable.
Horrible illness. Go well, Mr Jones.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

Bam wrote: 22 Jan 2020 18:34
coxy1937 wrote: 22 Jan 2020 15:38 I made the pattern for the cast alloy wheels for Mr Toad's car in Wind in the Willows . The film was directed by Terry Jones . .
Gosh coxy, Toad's wheels you are famous . . . PEEP PEEP . . .TALLY HO!!
Nice one…and

It was written / directed, and he was Mr Toad in the film, plus a few of his MP colleagues where in it – and a few other big names’
A great film
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Kobe Bryant
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

One of the few sportsman I know. Very sad, the man has four children I believe.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Voiceoftreason? wrote: 26 Jan 2020 20:52 One of the few sportsman I know. Very sad, the man has four children I believe.
I’m sorry I didn’t know who he was until Imsaw it on the BBC news site. Tragic way to go :)
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Nicholas Parson has died at 96, no hesitation, no repetition.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
C.A.Versham
Super Contributor

Post by C.A.Versham »

It was an astonishing innings. Nicholas Parsons was able to chair Just a Minute as astutely as anyone, well into his nineties.
Sometimes right, sometimes wrong, always certain.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 28 Jan 2020 11:24 Nicholas Parson has died at 96, no hesitation, no repetition.
Aw. Another “household name” :(
RIP
KeithW
Super Contributor

Post by KeithW »

It must be weird, knowing that your 'CV' is being kept updated by someone else for rapid retrieval.

A 'good' way to go, though.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

lizwing wrote: 28 Jan 2020 11:24 Nicholas Parson has died at 96, no hesitation, no repetition.
Very sad, a gentleman of the old school...
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Anyone remember “Mad Mike” Hoare?
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... a-aged-100
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

I read about him once when I found out the film was based on him / his men, didn't realise he was still alive!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

OLDMAN wrote: 05 Feb 2020 08:04 I read about him once when I found out the film was based on him / his men, didn't realise he was still alive!
I think that’s probably why I know of him, rather than contemporary accounts in the 1960s... pretty amazing that he got to be 100 after all his adventures. I seem to remember that the film was very much a “Boy’s Own”, rather far-fetched (it seemed) adventure ... maybe not?
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

The OH’s father’s army history was interesting
Infantry
Paratrooper
Army Air Corp / Experimental helicopters
Special Air Service (as in SAS)
So, could tell a few stories, plus -
He had some signed books written by ex SAS guys who he knew - they made interesting reading as to some stuff they got up to!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
Voiceoftreason?
Super Contributor

Post by Voiceoftreason? »

Kirk Douglas 103 years of age. He was Spartacus.
Disclaimer: it wasn't me as wot said it, it was my iPad spellchecker!
j9j9j9
Super Contributor

Post by j9j9j9 »

Last edited by j9j9j9 on 14 May 2020 10:57, edited 2 times in total.
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

No, I'm Spartacus
"Every place that I have been leaves its message on my skin. So many prophecies, so many signs, so little time, so little time" - Alan Prosser/Ian Telfer
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

No I am
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

I also enjoyed ‘Lust for Life’ (Van Gogh),
RIP
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

He was one of those actors (Burt Lancaster was another that comes to mind) who you were drawn to in every scene they were in. Reading today that Kirk read every actors lines when making a film, many actors only learn their own, and he also needed to know exactly where everything was going to be placed and suggested other options if he thought his were better. Sixty five years on a second marriage was good as well, despite his wife saying that she knew about his numerous affairs with starlets, and quoted as stating "But as a European, I understood it was unrealistic to expect total fidelity in a marriage." :whistle1:

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Fed-up
Super Contributor

Post by Fed-up »

Caroline Flack: TV presenter dies at 40
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

A troubled soul.
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

lizwing wrote: 15 Feb 2020 18:17 A troubled soul.
Seemingly so Liz? She wrote a while ago that winning Strictly Come Dancing back in 2014 affected her for months afterwards and she struggled to return to 'normal life' so it appears that fame is just not suited to some people. Plus this impending court case hanging over her, and her sacking from presenting Love Island because of it (and with all the internet trolling she encountered ) must have been the final straw for the poor lass even though I believe she was still with the chap and he sent her flowers for Valentines Day? :-(

This was from her Instagram at Christmas; Been advised not to go on social media ... but I wanted to say happy Christmas to everyone who has been so incredibly kind to me this year..... this kind of scrutiny and speculation is a lot to take on for one person to take on their own... I’m a human being at the end of the day and I’m not going to be silenced when I have a story to tell and a life to keep going with .... I’m taking some time out to get feeling better and learn some lessons from situations I’ve got myself into to.I have nothing but love to give and best wishes for everyone

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

Poor girl, social media can cause dreadful unhappiness.
BY Paulo Coelho
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

I was really quite shocked to hear about this ...poor girl.

Yet again the media are getting hammered, but in this case I wonder if other parties aren’t equally to blame ....social media, the authorities that insisted on prosecuting even though her partner didn’t want to press charges...

What a horrid muddle with a tragic, dreadful outcome

RIP.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

A very sad story, so often seems to happen.
Social Media involvement seems to be addictive in some people... a sort of drug they can’t quit.
What a mess her mind must have been in :(
Pooneil

Post by Pooneil »

Mayfield wrote: 15 Feb 2020 21:09the authorities that insisted on prosecuting even though her partner didn’t want to press charges...
The poor old authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't - quite rightly they were pilloried for years by campaigners against domestic violence for dropping prosecutions as soon as the victim declined to co-operate. But I suspect that's a debate for another thread.
A sad story nonetheless, and a warning against some of the extremes of social media.
Whilst I am a moderator, I am NOT posting in that capacity unless I explicitly say so
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

... presumably it was the partner who reported the incident in the first place?
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

piwacket wrote: 16 Feb 2020 12:05 ... presumably it was the partner who reported the incident in the first place?
He dialled 999 for help because they were both injured. Ambulance and police responded.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

annap wrote: 16 Feb 2020 12:15
piwacket wrote: 16 Feb 2020 12:05 ... presumably it was the partner who reported the incident in the first place?
He dialled 999 for help because they were both injured. Ambulance and police responded.
Oh right, thanks.
Mayfield

Post by Mayfield »

Pooneil wrote: 16 Feb 2020 10:55
Mayfield wrote: 15 Feb 2020 21:09the authorities that insisted on prosecuting even though her partner didn’t want to press charges...
The poor old authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't - quite rightly they were pilloried for years by campaigners against domestic violence for dropping prosecutions as soon as the victim declined to co-operate. But I suspect that's a debate for another thread.
A sad story nonetheless, and a warning against some of the extremes of social media.
Yes, you are right. I suspect that they may have been influenced by the fact that another ex boyfriend reported publicly that she had also been violent to him. Clearly a troubled person who didn't get the right help.
It’s also reported that she reached out to someone who then said she was 'draining' ...I guess there was past history there and everyone has a limit of what they can cope with, if it was a repeat scenario and the person doesn't act on advice or seek help then it must be very difficult to continue.....
After ITVs support of Ant Mc Partlin I'm surprised they weren't more helpful too.

Tragic waste of life.
annap
Super Contributor

Post by annap »

The actor John Shrapnel - wonderful voice

https://morseandlewisandendeavour.com/2 ... neighbour/

Return to “anything else”