Triangle car park/bus park

share your memories from Reading's past
lizwing
Super Contributor

Re: Triangle car park/bus park

Post by lizwing »

The Rex down by Norcot Road, Glendale in Caversham, Central Friar St, Vaudeville Oxford Road, Granby Cemetery Junction, Odeon Cheapside I cant think of any more.
“Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
BY Paulo Coelho
rolew
Super Contributor

Post by rolew »

Originally the Vaudeville was in Broad St. The one in Oxford Rd. was the Pavilion. The other two were the Regal in Caversham and the Savoy in Basingstoke Rd. The Glendale was always know as the flea pit.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 21 Aug 2021 18:14 The Rex down by Norcot Road, Glendale in Caversham, Central Friar St, Vaudeville Oxford Road, Granby Cemetery Junction, Odeon Cheapside I cant think of any more.
Plus
The Savoy, Basingstoke Rd, Regal, opposite the Glendale, I think the one in Oxford Rd was Gaumont? (Not Vaudeville, that was once in Broad Street corner of Union St) then the Gaumont became the Pavilion in Oxford Rd. So I think when the one in Broad St closed it became 8….?

Palace Theatre - I always remember the name Peaches Page :)) sometimes walked past there on the way home from school - and thought “oh how could they!’
There's no such thing as a free lunch
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Snap Rolew!

…oh and the Vaudeville in Broad Street had a restaurant, my mother would sometimes take me there for afternoon tea on her Wednesday afternoon off from `Heelas.
The Granby had a bar - and I think the Odeon did too.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

You’re quite right Pi, it was the Gaumont in Oxford Road. When I was a little girl my mum and dad owned a newsagents on the corner of Kensington Road, The Glenn Miller Story was playing at the Gaumont and I remember walking along there with them to watch it. I often used to go on the bus to The Rex with a friend when we were about 12.
BY Paulo Coelho
windrush
Super Contributor

Post by windrush »

The only cinemas I remember actually operating are the Granby, Glendale, Gaumont and Odeon but then I'm a good bit younger than many forum members. I do remember Lockart Equipment being in what was once the Rex but can't recall any of the others. Where I live now there were three cinemas at various times, all have long gone although the buildings remain.

Pete.
˙˙˙ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MickEdge
Super Contributor

Post by MickEdge »

So is this the definitive list: Rex - Oxford Rd near Norcot Rd roundabout, Glendale - Caversham, Regal - Caversham, Central - Friar St, Pavilion/Gaumont - Oxford Road, Granby - Cemetery Junction, Odeon - Cheapside, Vaudeville/Gaumont - Broad Street, Savoy - Basingstoke Rd.

Vaudeville - http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/34960
The Rex - http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/13750
Then I found this which doesn’t seem to tie up with the above links.
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/uni ... tus=closed
ian
Super Contributor

Post by ian »

I remember the cinema in Broad Street. They had a tea room looking down on Broad street opposite Boots. The cinema was demolished and Timothy Whites had a shop there, later to be owned by Boots?
I think the name was Gaumont and when it was demolished the name moved to the cinema corner of Russel street and Oxford road, I think it was called Pavillion before the change.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

MickEdge wrote: 22 Aug 2021 09:33 So is this the definitive list: Rex - Oxford Rd near Norcot Rd roundabout, Glendale - Caversham, Regal - Caversham, Central - Friar St, Pavilion/Gaumont - Oxford Road, Granby - Cemetery Junction, Odeon - Cheapside, Vaudeville/Gaumont - Broad Street, Savoy - Basingstoke Rd.

Mick the London Rd one would be the Granby
There are 2 Gaumonts because of the move from one location to another. The last name for the one on the corner of Russell St was Pavilion.
The Grand was in Broad St a very long time ago! (NO! I don’t remember it) there’s a picture on here somewhere, it was a bit further along from where Boots are.
The Studios, I think we’re at the top of London St… X-rated films?
I don’t think the Palace was ever a Cinema? It was next door to the Odeon, so doubt it….
The west St one - never knew about that.
On the map there’s an Electric Cinema - I think that may have been the tiny one in Elm Park Rd… I have a friend who’s Dad owned it in the 20s(?)*

… and there’s no mention of some others?

And there’s this Topic viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1672&p=110130&hili ... ma#p110130

*… from which I see that the Cinema in Elm Prk Road was in fact the Empire.
And there’s the picture of The Grand.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

ian wrote: 22 Aug 2021 11:30 I remember the cinema in Broad Street. They had a tea room looking down on Broad street opposite Boots. The cinema was demolished and Timothy Whites had a shop there, later to be owned by Boots?
I think the name was Gaumont and when it was demolished the name moved to the cinema corner of Russel street and Oxford road, I think it was called Pavillion before the change.
The Vaudeville wasn't demolished. It still exists as Boots shop. The frontage was changed, but the original vaulted ceiling is still there hidden by a false one.
Old Merc
Super Contributor

Post by Old Merc »

piwacket wrote: 22 Aug 2021 11:41
MickEdge wrote: 22 Aug 2021 09:33 So is this the definitive list: Rex - Oxford Rd near Norcot Rd roundabout, Glendale - Caversham, Regal - Caversham, Central - Friar St, Pavilion/Gaumont - Oxford Road, Granby - Cemetery Junction, Odeon - Cheapside, Vaudeville/Gaumont - Broad Street, Savoy - Basingstoke Rd.

Mick the London Rd one would be the Granby
There are 2 Gaumonts because of the move from one location to another. The last name for the one on the corner of Russell St was Pavilion.
The Grand was in Broad St a very long time ago! (NO! I don’t remember it) there’s a picture on here somewhere, it was a bit further along from where Boots are.
The Studios, I think we’re at the top of London St… X-rated films?
I don’t think the Palace was ever a Cinema? It was next door to the Odeon, so doubt it….
The west St one - never knew about that.
On the map there’s an Electric Cinema - I think that may have been the tiny one in Elm Park Rd… I have a friend who’s Dad owned it in the 20s(?)*

… and there’s no mention of some others?

And there’s this Topic viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1672&p=110130&hili ... ma#p110130

*… from which I see that the Cinema in Elm Prk Road was in fact the Empire.
And there’s the picture of The Grand.
Yes Mick, that is the nine cinemas.
The Vaudeville/ Gaumont/ Pavilion often caused confusion, three names, two cinemas. When it first opened in1909 at Broad St, it was called The Vaudeville Electric Theatre.
The Gaumont cinema building in the Oxford Rd is still there. Its been taken over by The Life Spring Church, and its now called The Pavilion.
The " 10th " Reading cinema, The Grand Cinema opened in 1911 and closed in 1922. I think it was where Waterstones is now in Broad St, with that lovely archway at the front.
Old Merc
Super Contributor

Post by Old Merc »

Ha Ha, we are starting to go off topic.
Reading cinemas were discussed in great detail many years ago here. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1672&hilit=vanished+cinemas
Old Merc
Super Contributor

Post by Old Merc »

large.jpg
download.jpg
download.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 785 times
Looks as if I`m wrong. The Waterstones building has a different frontage and used to be a chapel. That lovely Grand Cinema exterior seems to have disappeared, where was it?
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Old Merc wrote: 23 Aug 2021 14:51 Looks as if I`m wrong. The Waterstones building has a different frontage and used to be a chapel. That lovely Grand Cinema exterior seems to have disappeared, where was it?
If you look half-way down page 3 of the link you gave above, you may be able to work out the exact location.
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

From a cinema history site –
Located in Reading, Berkshire. The Broad Street Picture House was opened in late-1911 It was a conversion of a butchers shop to the plans of local architect W.G. Webb. By July 1912 it had been re-named Grand Cinema and was operated by the Vincent brothers. It was closed in 1922 and converted into a car showroom. In 1929 it became the Cadena Cafe and later a newsagents shop.
In 2015 a branch of Santander Bank operates at this address.

I was looking though a book of old Reading pictures last night and the original chapel pre-dates that frontage as was set back from the road itself, almost behind the buildings each side – not sure when it was expanded and the ornate front added
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
chris_j_wood
Super Contributor

Post by chris_j_wood »

windrush wrote: 22 Aug 2021 09:14 The only cinemas I remember actually operating are the Granby, Glendale, Gaumont and Odeon but then I'm a good bit younger than many forum members. I do remember Lockart Equipment being in what was once the Rex but can't recall any of the others. Where I live now there were three cinemas at various times, all have long gone although the buildings remain.
So what was the one on Friar Street where the Novotel and Ibis hotels are now, which surely must have been open when you were in Reading?. I moved to Reading in 1977, and the only ones I can remember being open as cinemas are that one, the Odeon and the Granby. I'm pretty sure neither version of the Gaumont was open, and Caversham was a foreign land back then, so I cannot comment on the Glendale.

Edit: I see from the link above that the Friar Street cinema I remember was the ABC, previously the Central. It closed in 1999.
Old Merc
Super Contributor

Post by Old Merc »

large.jpg
The ABC Central cinema Friar St. In the 50`s I can remember my mum taking me upstairs to this posh cafe for afternoon tea. We could sit by the window and watch the cars going up and down Friar St.
Hooped
Super Contributor

Post by Hooped »

The Gaumont was the first cinema I ever visited, when I won tickets (in a Reading Standard painting competition) to see a double bill of Help! and A Hard Day's Night... pretty sure that was in 1966.

The Studios in London Street did show a lot of X films, but I also remember seeing Pink Floyd's Live At Pompeii there in 1974 and Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same in 1976.

My Dad used to love the Granby, I certainly remember it being the most impressive cinema in the town in the '70s. The Odeon was good, as well.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Old Merc wrote: 24 Aug 2021 15:28 large.jpg

The ABC Central cinema Friar St. In the 50`s I can remember my mum taking me upstairs to this posh cafe for afternoon tea. We could sit by the window and watch the cars going up and down Friar St.

Such a beautiful building and fond memories going there as a kid. Unforgiveable it was allowed to be demolished.
Old Merc
Super Contributor

Post by Old Merc »

ChipbuttyG wrote: 24 Jan 2022 09:36
Old Merc wrote: 24 Aug 2021 15:28 large.jpg

Such a beautiful building and fond memories going there as a kid. Unforgiveable it was allowed to be demolished.
I agree Chipbutty,
RG25 (2).jpg
I just don`t understand why it was not considered a listed building, or what ever. Here is a much older image I found.
ChipbuttyG
Super Contributor

Post by ChipbuttyG »

Friar street was such an interesting place once upon a time. Ye Boars Head building was nice too. Again, unforgivable it was allowed to be bulldozed.
dave m
Super Contributor

Post by dave m »

Listing doesn't cover nearly as much as most people think.
It wasn't a particularly extraordinary building and had been so altered that not much remained.
afaik the old ballroom above was a dangerous structure?

ditto Boars Head.
If you look at older images, little of the original building survived.
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

Our building in Castle Hill was Grade II listed - fortunately after we’d done a lot of necessary alterations- which included removing a small tree which was growing on the roof when we moved in! Then when I came to sell the business, nearly 30 years later,I was told we should return the building to its original condition :)) However I’d kept all the original papers giving us permission to do the work we’d done. So that’s was that, and the `sale went ahead.
lizwing
Super Contributor

Post by lizwing »

I’d like to have seen their faces if you’d replanted the tree on the roof Pi 😄
BY Paulo Coelho
piwacket

Post by piwacket »

lizwing wrote: 24 Jan 2022 12:21 I’d like to have seen their faces if you’d replanted the tree on the roof Pi 😄
Precisely, and said that to them. And the heating system boiler which occupied the whole of the cellar, probably 60-70 years old? -with a 250 gallon tank which was in a cupboard in an upstairs room. I’d had it all removed and a neat Potterton boiler installed and just locked the cupboard with the massive tank in. Of course when the Surveyor came when selling, he asked what was in there, and fell about laughing when I showed him.

Return to “Memories of old Reading”