Bar Billiards

an area for Reading's many public houses, restaurants, and hotels
steveowen

Bar Billiards

Post by steveowen »

Does anybody know if there are there any pubs in Readung that still have a bar billiards table?
savagethegoat

Re: Bar Billiards

Post by savagethegoat »

ooo what a good post...used to love playing....
smiff

Post by smiff »

The Hop Leaf still had a table a few weeks ago when I visited it
Wozza

Post by Wozza »

Think the Maiden Over in Earley has a table
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

There must be a few as the Hop Leaf have 2 teams in a league

Find one in a league and check their rota

The Spread Eagle have just had theirs removed!!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
steveowen

Post by steveowen »

Thanks for the tips. I didn't realise there were any bar billiards leagues still running. There was a time most pubs seemed to have a table tucked away in the corner somewhere (and I guess a few of them still do - I just don't know where they are!) Wonder why it's not so popular these days.
smiff

Post by smiff »

steveowen wrote:Thanks for the tips. I didn't realise there were any bar billiards leagues still running. There was a time most pubs seemed to have a table tucked away in the corner somewhere (and I guess a few of them still do - I just don't know where they are!) Wonder why it's not so popular these days.
http://barbilliards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=berks
mikejee
Super Contributor

Post by mikejee »

Steve
I don't think its that they became unpopular, though the surge towards all things american (ie pool) may have something to do with it, but more that landlords could get more money from pool tables , especially if the players were reasonably good. You always got a fixed time on a bar billiards table, but , with pool table the landlord could have his money twice in that time
steveowen

Post by steveowen »

Good point, Mike. Never thought of that.
freeside

Post by freeside »

Reading is home to the former World Champion (twice) Bernie McCluskey.
steveowen

Post by steveowen »

Did Bernie play bar billiards in Reading when he was the world champion? If so, where did he play?
seniorservice

Post by seniorservice »

The Sun in Castle Street always did have one but I can't see them in the leagues. Will have to pop in for a half and see if it's still there........
freeside

Post by freeside »

Yes Bernie played at The Lion in Gt Knollys Street, it has now been demolished to make way for flats. Not sure when they got rid of their table as I am sure there wouldn't have been one when the pub was rebranded as the Zoo, but he certainly played there in the mid 1980s.
steveowen

Post by steveowen »

I think he played at the Swiss Cottage in the early eighties also
carless-jane
Super Contributor

Post by carless-jane »

Yes, there are still winter and summer bar billiards leagues in Reading, but with a lot less teams than there used to be. Only a few tables still in pubs - Hop Leaf, Pond House, Maiden Over in Reading and the Admiral Cunningham in Bracknell, but more in social clubs - both Caversham and Sonning working mens clubs, PO and RBC clubs and Our Lady of Peace. Bernie now plays for Cav WMC and is still hard to beat (but I have managed it once in the last ten years!). I am in the team that used to play in the Spread Eagle before the table was removed, now playing in the Pond House. The table went after more than 15 years, the usual PubCo type stupidity of looking at how much money the table took in isolation, not how much beer we all drank in there. Needless to say they have now lost our custom, but it was great to notice the pinball machine that was put in place of the bar billiards table only lasted a month!
cribsie

Post by cribsie »

I lived on Fords Farm for a couple of years in the early 80's very close to the Harvester and would go with my mates on a Friday night. They had a bar billiards table and a great night out for us was a couple of pints, a slice of pizza which they served at the bar, a few games of bar billiards and listening to 'Babe' by Styx on the dukebox whilst chatting the girls up! Oh, happy days...
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

carless-jane wrote: I am in the team that used to play in the Spread Eagle before the table was removed, now playing in the Pond House. The table went after more than 15 years, the usual PubCo type stupidity of looking at how much money the table took in isolation, not how much beer we all drank in there. Needless to say they have now lost our custom, but it was great to notice the pinball machine that was put in place of the bar billiards table only lasted a month!
Oops - we must have nodded hello at some point and I must have watched you play as the OH was cook / bar staff for about 2 years in the Spread
She joined when Ross and Claire had the place but left for a better job, plus did not like 'fat' Dave the new landlord - he was the one who wanted the bar billiards out, introduced poker nights, wanted another pool table and generally mucked up the pool / darts / football teams
I have been by one of the ex dart / pool team players that he has gone back to Leeds now!
Oldman........

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they annoyed me........................

I hug everybody –
It’s not affection, I’m just measuring up how big a hole I need to dig for the body!
carless-jane
Super Contributor

Post by carless-jane »

Oops - we must have nodded hello at some point and I must have watched you play as the OH was cook / bar staff for about 2 years in the Spread
Hi oldman, can't place you but probably would if I saw you - and can't make the forum meal as I will be in France! Anyway, I would have been the one with a pint of Abbot in my hand if it was earlier in the evening, or a gin and tonic at late knockings. :lol2:
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

There is a picture of me on the what we look like thread
Oldman........

I hug everybody –
lokig

Post by lokig »

i am told that the crown on the bridge in caversham will soon be losing it's pool table and replacing it with a bar billiards table.

not overly impressed with the new layout so far, hopefully it will pick up.
Squash
Super Contributor

Post by Squash »

lokig wrote:i am told that the crown on the bridge in caversham will soon be losing it's pool table and replacing it with a bar billiards table.

not overly impressed with the new layout so far, hopefully it will pick up.
The bar billiards table has just been successfully bid for on Ebay. I understand that there will be several improvements made to the bars and the stinky toilets will be remedied so I wish them luck and am hoping for the best.
Squash
Super Contributor

Post by Squash »

Bar billiards table is now installed in the Crown. Nice looking antique table too.
paroncider

Post by paroncider »

It's refreshing to see that the Crown on the Bridge has just put a Bar Billiards table in! A couple of years ago in Oxford we played for a bar billiards league and had a great time, even if we were just learning the game...

Since moving to Reading, I don't belong to a team (didn't realise there were any!) so we just play casually at the Hop Leaf when the mood strikes. And having read in this thread that the Hop Leaf fields two teams, clearly I don't play there often enough to have crossed paths with them :-)
OLDMAN

Post by OLDMAN »

The odd thing I have noticed with bar billiards is it tends to be a 'table' game rather than winner stays on like pool

In the Hop Leaf if you put money on the table you get the 'free' table and then play with a partner / doubles - the preceding pair / group come off and put money on if they want to play again - all done very amicably

Unfortunately unless you join one of said groups / games then you tend not to play with team locals - unless you know them of course!
Oldman........

I hug everybody –

Return to “Pubs, Restaurants, and Hotels”